Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fantastic Voyage...In A Zombie! (Part 4)

 Fantastic Voyage...In A Zombie! (Part 4)

….doop....doop....doop...
    “He should have stayed in the lab,” Feinerman stated, annoyed. “The virus has spread out of his arm and is almost to his heart. He’ll be dead in less than five minutes.”
    “Shut up!” Dom shouted. “You don’t know that. He could...”
    “Simmer down, Dom,” Shriver’s voice, tired and resigned, came out of the tinny speaker on the control panel. “He’s right. I can feel it moving inside me.”
    “I’m sorry, Captain,” Feinerman said. “I thought you were still unconscious. “Did you have any luck getting in to the other labs?”
    “No, they were all sealed up tight,” Shriver said. He had found a mirror and was looking at it. The camera on his safety glasses gave the illusion that he was looking at the crew of the Protean. “Listen, can I talk to Dom for a minute? I got some stuff I want to say before....you know.”
    “Of course,” Feinerman said. “I wanted to examine the samples we took. I’ll be back in the lab alcove if you need me.”
    “I should check the reactor,” Vilinsky said, patting Dom on the shoulder as he made his way out of the command chamber.
    “I’ll be taking a nap, McClosky said, yawning. “Goodbye Captain, it’s been....unique...knowing you.”
    “I’ll be joining you on that big circle bed in a few minutes, Doc,” Dom said, winking.
    “Not if you want to keep all your parts.”
    “It’s the only bed we have on this thing,” Dom whined. McClosky gave him the finger and closed the hatch behind her. “Can you believe that chick, denying a man a good rest.”
    “I need you to be serious for a moment, Dom,” Shriver said. He seemed to have aged two decades over that last five minutes.
….doop....doop...doop...
    “I am serious,” Dom said, suddenly angry. “This is bullshit. You aren’t gonna die and we aren’t gonna....”
    “I am going to die, Dom,” Shriver stated flatly. “I know it. Listen, I need you to do something for me and I don’t know if I can trust the others.”
    “What do you need?”
    “Something about this isn’t right...”
    “You mean the part where a bunch of eggheads and a jock are cruising through your bloodstream or the part where a bunch of zombies are trying to eat you? ‘Cause that all seems pretty normal, you ask me.”
    Shriver chuckled. “Good point. No, I mean this whole setup. Every lab between here and the one where the zombies came from has been on lockdown. Its like someone funneled them straight to me.”
    “Maybe this project and the other were the only two working today. It is a Saturday. Or was.”
    “Also the security cameras have been tracking me. Someone has been keeping an eye on where I’ve been going. Maybe I’m paranoid, but I’ve been thinking. It could be this project had two purposes. To shrink a ship down and inject it into someone, then see from the inside how their new virus worked.”
    “That does sound paranoid. So you think whoever they are have an inside man?”
    “Or woman.”
    “What do you want me to do?”
    “Convince Feinerman to go with McClosky’s plan to hook up that thing in my brain. Then...”
    Shriver began to cough - loud hacking barks that brought up a handful of black blood.
….doop...dooop...dooop...
    “Dude, you want us to ride you around like a go-kart?” Dom asked, disgusted.
    “That’s a terrible image,” Shriver said, once he got his breath back. “Once I become one of them, the zombies won’t attack me. Or shouldn’t. I’m depending on some movie logic here, I admit. Use me to find out what’s going on. Infiltrate that lab the zombies came from and find out who has been tracking me.”
    “Okay, but what about the spy you think is in here?”
    “Keep an eye on everyone, don’t trust them. There’s one more thing...tell my sister I love her. Go to her and....
    “I’ll do it,,” Dom said somberly. A wicked smile spread over his face. “I’ll comfort her too, don’t you worry, Mac. I have a way with grieving women.”
    “Don’t make me come back from the dead and kill you.”
    “Too late.”
    Both of them laughed. There was no joy in it.
    “You’re an asshole, Dom.
    “I know it, Mac. Hey, guess what?”
...doop...dooop..doooooooooooo...
    “Mac?”
ooooooooooooo.....
    “Mac?”

   
   


No comments:

Post a Comment