Friday, November 23, 2012

You: Chapter Nine (A Choose Your Own Adventure)


   Welcome to Choose Your Own Adventure time! The way this is going to work is pretty familiar. Each chapter, you will be given one or two choices that will dictate how the story progresses. The choices will be given in the body of the story and you vote your choice by clicking on the answer in the corresponding poll on the right side of this here blog. Voting begins on Saturday when the story posts and remains open until Tuesday night.
   A word of warning, though! Unlike a Choose Your Own Adventure book, you can't go back and make a different decision to get a different outcome. Whatever decision wins the vote on Tuesday is final, so choose wisely.

-Rich

You

Chapter Nine

As you angle your jetpack toward the rows of quaint little towns, you see swarm of black and white hover-vehicles blast out of the business quarter and make a beeline to the office building you just broke out of. It looks like Darius must have woken up and called in the cavalry.

It won't make your getaway and eventual escape any easier, but you feel good that you didn't kill anybody. Or pee on things. Who knows what kind of tracking technology they have around here and you'd hate to have your pee used against you. For the moment though, you know you should go to ground and wait for the heat to die down. And though it breaks your heart, you will also have to ditch the jetpack.

There look to be five levels of identical-looking small towns. Aiming for a wooded area on the third layer, figuring it would allow you to flee easily to the other two if shit hits the fan, you propel yourself through the air. As you go you try to figure out ways to sneak the jetpack back to your own world. You could make a mint selling these things online.

Too soon, the open expanse of the domed city is replaced by a small forest of trees zipping by just under your feet. Hovering for a moment, you spin slowly and take several pictures of the surrounding area. Filing the images in a new folder, you cut the power to the jetpack and lower yourself down past the branches. Landing on the pine-needle covered ground, you strip off your jetpack and lean it against a stump.

If you didn't know better you would swear you were standing in the middle of a natural forest. The ground is soft and, you check to make sure, certainly made of dirt. You can hear the chirping of birds and, not too far away, the babble of a small brook. Looking up past the branches, you are surprised to see a blue, cloud-filled sky instead of the underside of the level above.

Sitting on the stump, you call up the pictures you just took. You know that you landed on the westernmost edge of the level, a few hundred more feet in that direction and you'd be in what you have taken to calling the Agricultural Quarter. If it comes down to it, you could always hide out there.

Sifting through the pictures you note that a series of five or six scattered farmhouses lie to the south of you. Each one has a large barn and several outbuildings that look like barracks. Several dirt roads wind through the area, all of them seeming to lead to the farming quarter.

Moving along to the east lies the well-manicured grid of suburban homes. From the looks of it, there are maybe three different styles of house in this neighborhood. Each one has a conservative paint job and an immaculately kept backyard. Small playgrounds and parks are scattered at regular intervals along the six block square of the neighborhood.

At the easternmost edge of the level lies the town proper. You zoom in on the pictures you took of it and can make out what looks like a town hall, a movie theater, a gas station, and a library. A large statue of a man dominates the center of town and seems to look down on the entire neighborhood.

In all of the pictures, you can see people milling about. Most are dressed as if they just stepped off the set of Leave It To Beaver. Men are dressed in suits and hats, women in flowery sun dresses, and the children are clean and presentable. It's all terribly suspicious. Squinting at the photos and zooming in as much as you can, you swear you see the occasional glint of what might be a robot moving among the citizens. You quietly make a vow to see one up close if you can.


For now, you are going to have to find someplace to hide out, and you know you can't stay in the woods. You are still dressed in the silver uniform of a border guard and, though you are sure that some of them must live in the neighborhood, it might be wise to find some civilian clothes to change into. It may also help to get back into contact with Orson, though the idea of bleeding into the towns water supply is kind of icky.
So what are you going to do?

Choice One

1. Bleed into the nearby brook so you can establish contact with Orson 66%
2. Bleeding is icky, Orson can wait. 33%

Choice Two

1. I’m going to the farmhouses, it looks like there are lots of hiding places there. 0%
2. I bet I can find an unoccupied house in the neighborhood to break into and get what I need. 50%
3. Hiding is boring, I’m heading to the the center of town where the action is. 33%
4. Maybe suburbia isn’t the place to be, I’m hoofing it to the Agricultural Quarter. 16%

So, there you go! You have until midnight Tuesday, November 27th to make your choices and the new chapter will post on Saturday, November 30th. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment